- Remember, remember the Fifth of November,
- The Gunpowder Treason and Plot,
- I know of no reason
- Why the Gunpowder Treason
- Should ever be forgot.
- Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, t’was his intent
- To blow up the King and Parli’ment.
- Three-score barrels of powder below
- To prove old England’s overthrow;
- By God’s providence he was catch’d (or by God’s mercy*)
- With a dark lantern and burning match.
- Holla boys, Holla boys, let the bells ring.
- Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
- And what should we do with him? Burn him!
- Guy, guy, guy
- Poke him in the eye,
- Put him on the bonfire,
- And there let him die
- A traitor to the Crown by his action,
- No Parli’ment mercy from any faction,
- His just end should’st be grim,
- What should we do? Burn him!
- Holler boys, holler boys, let the bells ring,
- Holler boys, holler boys, God save the King!
5 thoughts on “November 5th”
A good, if grotes
OK, my computer had a schiz! I was saying it’s a good, if grotesque reminder of our social history…
It really is Catherine. We are quite the blood thirsty country when you think about it.
Thanks for this, I’ve only ever known the first line.
I once told a group of Mums at storytime that I only know the first line of this and one Mum proudly and loudly piped up with the second line. I looked at her expectantly and she glanced round at the group furtively and admitted that the second line was as far as she could go.